11 August 2011

a tale of two dressers

I've been busy while on vacation working on refreshing a few rooms for family and friends.

upcycled 70's dresser

My mom had two dressers that were useful, but not very pretty in a master bedroom. Nothing a little paint can't fix!


I gave this tired old dresser a good sanding, then primed and painted on two coats of a greenish-gray latex Behr paint (I actually didn't like the beige-gray colour that I had picked out, so did some custom mixing by adding some black and dark green paint I had left over from a previous project).  I then sanded the edges to give it a distressed look and let some of the wood come through, and added new hardware. Voila!




On the tall dresser I spray-painted  a high gloss sage green Rustoleum after a little sanding and a coat of primer. I finished off with 3 coats of water-based high gloss Varathane.




I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, and I will show you how they fit in the the refreshed master bedroom in my next post.  For now I'm off to paint more furniture. I wonder if my mom will let me at her hutch yet...

7 comments :

  1. WOW! What a transformation. Oh you give me hope that I can do this myself one day!!!! Really, WOW. I'm bookmarking so I can remember this!!

    I love transformations! I just turned my secretary into a bar area in my dining room. I really hope you'll stop by and check it out: http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2011/08/picture-is-worth.html

    See you soon, I hope!
    Artie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Artie. It really is pretty easy, so you should definitely try it! And your secretary/bar is amazing! Thanks for stopping by.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are both awesome, but i especially love that white one! it has such a fabulous shape and the white was the perfect simple finish for it! the new hardware also makes a great impact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice I like them both! I will have to try Varathane it looks like it gives furniture a nice gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the green one is my favorite!!! LOVE the lines and style of it - now the color!!!

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look great! love the green one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly-they both look great but I'm loving the style of the first one!
    gail
    thanks for linking up and linking back, I'm catching you this week!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!