23 January 2012

not a builder basic bathroom

My brother - the builder - has a townhome project on the go and has asked for advice on how to turn a small-standard-layout-builder-basic-bathroom into something a little more special, without spending a fortune.

Actually, there are a few easy ways to do this, and they make all the difference. Some nice tilework, a an open, floating or vintage vanity, a framed mirror, and bling lighting will amp up a basic bathroom.



Sullivan Design Studio
In a small space, I like the floating vanities with open space underneath. As long as there are some drawers for storage, it is functional yet gives an open feeling. And I'm also a fan of using a furniture piece for a vanity- vintage is even better.

via DecorPad
An upgraded countertop from laminate to granite or marble is a reasonable cost for a small vanity. Or you could check out some environmental options for countertops here.

by Kevin Oreck via cococozy
Tiling doesn't have to be the expensive glass kind. Inexpensive subway tile is 100% more interesting than drywall.  And good light sconces on the sides, along with a cute hanging light overhead will wow. I wrote about mini chandelier lighting in the bathroom here.

Architectural Digest
In a small room, these upgrades will not add all that much more to the overall cost. But they have a big return on investment.  

Raven Inside Interior Design contemporary bathroom
                                                      

via House Beautiful
Aren't they worth a little extra effort?

3 comments :

  1. I agree. This is no ordinary bathroom! It's so sophisticated and elegant and very chic. I'm sure BYU off campus housing homeowners would love to have a bathroom like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This is no ordinary bathroom! It's so sophisticated and elegant and very chic. I'm sure BYU off campus housing homeowners would love to have a bathroom like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Douglas! I actually found some stylish homes from the madison apartment group website recently. You might want to check it out as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!