1 February 2012

one room challenge- week 3


Week 3 and February 1st already! I made some great progress over last weekend and crossed some things off of my to-do list. Today, I'm going to show you my headboard project for my corner daybed.


I have a single mattress in the corner of my office where I want to be able to curl up and read. I wanted a more finished look, so I decided to make a headboard. I started with 2 sheets of plywood cut to size for me at Home Depot.


I purchased a single bed foam mattress topper from Wal-Mart for $17 and wrapped the boards with that and some batting over top. This was quite easy, and I actually didn't even use spray adhesive, as the staples held it tight. Then I cut the white sailcloth I purchased and wrapped it around and stapled tight. I used simple eye hooks on the back of the boards and hung them to the wall on nails.



I was planning on tufting the boards, but actually liked the casual look for this room. But it did need something to finish it, so I added nail head detailing along the edges. Simplest thing ever and cost only $2 for a box of 25 nailheads.




So now you are getting the idea of my white room with pops of colour. I also did some DIY art and hacked an IKEA chair, which I will show you next week.

Make sure to hop over and see the other talented bloggers' progress on their rooms.

14 comments :

  1. The nailheads look great and give it such sophistication!! I also love the chevron pillow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project to give you that cozy nook!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nailheads are fantastic. Make sure you submit your Ikea hack to the site. To date, my best traffic came from that site! I saw your artwork, you are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this look perfect! The nailhead is a perfect touch! I am going to steal your mattress topper idea! I am going to work on my headboard this week and wanted to pad it a little more.... great savvy idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your headboard looks great...perfect place to curl up with a book! It was so smart to buy the foam mattress topper b/c foam at the fabric stores is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kelly - the comment above is from ME. I was logged into my son's google account again....duh!!! I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I said was - the daybed is an awesome DIY and HOW will you ever get any work done in there now? I'd be asleep in that corner all day long :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive! What a great job and fantastic addition to have the daybed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever! That's a great tip as opposed to forking over large amounts of cash for foam from the fabric store. Very nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the headboard turned out beautifully. I thought the same thing about the tufting when I saw the first picture, but when you added the nail heads it looked totally complete! Way to save yourself some serious time and money :). Can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully done..I love the luxurious white sailcloth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea for a corner bed! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!