10 October 2012

making a small galley kitchen work

Many of us are faced with small galley or one-wall kitchens in our homes, condos or apartments. There are a few tricks to making the most of a small kitchen space to create an efficient, open and beautiful room.

1. First, lighten up. If you have a small enclosed kitchen, go white or light on your cabinets.

source
source
2. Or, go open. Opt for open shelving up top instead of cabinets that visually take up space.

via
via

3. If you have room on one side, adding a small table allows for more a feeling of more usable space. 

via
via
source
4. Finally, bust out one wall and open it up to living space, adding an island in for extra counter space. 

via
via
via
Could you live small in one of these kitchens? Or maybe you have other tricks? I'd love to hear them!

5 comments :

  1. I love all of these. It's the "all white" that makes it feel so fresh and clean. I would definitely do one of thees kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white ones remind me of mine so I like them best! Mine's small but painted the cabinets ivory with white subway backsplash tiles and honed quartz counters. Popular...yes, but classic. Now if only I could keep it clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT post Kelly - you chose the most beautiful examples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the second to last pic. The built in fridge, the wood, and the color! Do you know the length of the wall?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!